Welcome to my blog. I plan to do occasional posts before I set off and then every
few days on the trip.
On May 12th 2012 I will be dipping the rear wheel of my bike
into the Pacific Ocean
in Los Angeles and heading for the Atlantic in Boston.
I am funding the trip myself, however I am seeking sponsorship for The Multiple Sclerosis
Society. Please consider supporting my sponsorship by clicking on the "Sponsor me " link.
Note all of your donation will be going to the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

I am looking forward to this great challenge and hope you find my blog of interest.
Please enter your email details on the right to receive updates. Thanks

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Rest day in Abilene Kansas

I saw this shop sign and imagined a line of men queuing up to go in.




-I was tempted to go in, however my sense of humour might not have been welcome!


somehow the local tourist info office found out we were in town and they ferried us down to Ike's bar and gave us the full info on the town. Very hospitable, good beer and good steak.

Slept in until 7.30am casual breakfast and then bike cleaning and general check over.

I then cycled the couple of miles in to town.



The town's prosperity came principally from the railroads. There we some nice houses in the town area.




There are a number of attractions, the principle one being the Dwight Eisenhour museum which was very good and informative.




Dwight was born in Abilene and his childhood home is preserved.



The museum contains many exhibits and is well presented.








Nick my roommate also visited the greyhound hall of fame, which contained a number of famous stuffed greyhounds. It was free to enter, I felt I had enough excitement for the day so gave it a miss.

I had a lunchtime sandwich at a nice coffee shop in town and cycled around some of the streets on the way back to the hotel. Ice cream, nap, swimming pool and now ready for dinner.

Overall a pleasant rest day before the 108 mile day of climbing tomorrow.




Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:E Lafayette Ave,Abilene,United States

No comments: