Welcome to my blog. I plan to do occasional posts before I set off and then every
few days on the trip.
On May 12th 2012 I will be dipping the rear wheel of my bike
into the Pacific Ocean
in Los Angeles and heading for the Atlantic in Boston.
I am funding the trip myself, however I am seeking sponsorship for The Multiple Sclerosis
Society. Please consider supporting my sponsorship by clicking on the "Sponsor me " link.
Note all of your donation will be going to the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

I am looking forward to this great challenge and hope you find my blog of interest.
Please enter your email details on the right to receive updates. Thanks

Wednesday 16 May 2012

A century's ride through the Mohave desert at 125 F ( 51C)

At the route rap held at 5.45 each day we get briefed on the route and any other details.

Last night we had a very detailed briefing on the dangers of the desert and how to look after each other. We were told of the signs of heat stroke, one of them being making irrational decisions. As I looked around the room it seems that was not a good test as we had all made an irrational decision to be there in the first place.

We felt suitably prepared for a 7.15 start. Normally at that time you need a jacket as it is still cool, however just for us it is seasonally warm and the temp was 76F for the start.

We were travelling on interstate 10 for most of the day. Cyclists can use the hard shoulder if there is no other road. Yet again we were warned of the dangers as it is a very busy route.

The first 11 miles was a climb which continued at a lesser rate up to 30 miles to Chicago summit. Now I know why it is called the high desert.

The temperature soon rose to over 100F. There is lots of debris on the shoulder.

Unfortunately the lens from my rear light came off and hit the rear wheel. So another flat tyre. I started to change the tyre and realised it had split the sidewall. Fortunately the sag wagon arrived and we fitted a new tyre. However this delayed me some 40 mins and this also meant another 40 mins in the heat.

Anyway onwards and upwards. The was a slight headwind so I powered on as quickly as I could. When you are by yourself it seems a lot tougher.

I got to first sag as the main gang I had been riding with left so I doused myself with cold water, drank eat took some electrolyte pills and set off. My plan was to try and catch them so I burnt it up at 18to 20 mph. I kept thinking I saw them ahead bit it was a traffic cone or something.

Eventually to everyone's surprise I joined on to the back of the group and took it easy tucking in at the back of the pace line.

We had lunch sag at desert centre








- riding the pace line on I10

Picture of the traffic



The inevitable punctures





Got into the hotel at 4pm

Some relaxation actually from a previous stop


Realise I have written perhaps to much.
Anyway early bed for 115 miles through the desert tomorrow

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:W Donlon St,Blythe,United States

1 comment:

Jim said...

You can never write too much about your adventure for me. Keep pedaling and stay safe.

Jim