Welcome to my blog. I plan to do occasional posts before I set off and then every
few days on the trip.
On May 12th 2012 I will be dipping the rear wheel of my bike
into the Pacific Ocean
in Los Angeles and heading for the Atlantic in Boston.
I am funding the trip myself, however I am seeking sponsorship for The Multiple Sclerosis
Society. Please consider supporting my sponsorship by clicking on the "Sponsor me " link.
Note all of your donation will be going to the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

I am looking forward to this great challenge and hope you find my blog of interest.
Please enter your email details on the right to receive updates. Thanks

Monday 14 May 2012

The first riding day

Well we got underway from the hotel and drove down in convoy to manhattan beach for a wheel dipping ceremony at 7am.




-





As you might imagine a fairly emotional start. We then set off up the hil for an 80 mile ride. The first forty miles were getting through the suburbs of LA and then we started a reasonable climb out into the country side.

I rode about 50 miles with Harry from Denver, we seemed to progress at the same pace. His main issue is to quote "he has one big organ, unfortunately it is his prostrate, so he need to stop at rest rooms regularly. We made food progress and had two sag stops for drinks and refreshments.

We came into riverside along a 9 mile straight road through orange groves, thee were oranges all on the road. I took a picture unfortunately I cannot seem to find it.

The temperature started at 67f and rose to around 100f by midday.

The last thirty or so miles we rode in a group of seven riders taking it fairly easily.

Arrived at hotel just after 2pm, quick shower and then chocolate milk and strawberry pancakes. Sat in the shade by the pool and had a coupl of Sam Adams beers with John from London.

Then to meeting at 5.45 to go through tomorrow. We start at 7.15 for 85 miles, with some real climbing and Expected temperatures of 110F .
So tomorrow is camelback water container and arm coolers. We start entering the high desert. Not sure what a high desert is compared to a low desert. Will find out.

Overall a good day and in reality it is good to be doing the ride rather than thinking about it!

Plenty of sun cream and liquids as the next day is tougher, we are told.

To bed at 8pm




Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:University Ave,Riverside,United States

No comments: