Welcome to my blog. I plan to do occasional posts before I set off and then every
few days on the trip.
On May 12th 2012 I will be dipping the rear wheel of my bike
into the Pacific Ocean
in Los Angeles and heading for the Atlantic in Boston.
I am funding the trip myself, however I am seeking sponsorship for The Multiple Sclerosis
Society. Please consider supporting my sponsorship by clicking on the "Sponsor me " link.
Note all of your donation will be going to the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

I am looking forward to this great challenge and hope you find my blog of interest.
Please enter your email details on the right to receive updates. Thanks

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Day 2 riding - the heat

Hi

Good nights sleep and up for a 6.15 breakfast and a 7.15 start.

85 miles with about 9 miles of climbing. We were rising into the hills and riding towards Desert Springs.

The climbing was not to bad as it was early on, before the temperatures really increased. We than had some fast flat riding with a good wind behind us. I did about five miles without pedalling and the speed was 30mph.

I then had my first back tyre puncture with my puncture proof tyres. There is a lot of tyre wire debris at the side of the road and a thin steel wire went through the tyre. Changing a rear tyre on the road at 100F however is not great fun.





It is surprising to be so hot yet see snow on the mountains.

We stopped at a sag stop for refreshments









Food supplied is good always fruit, energy bars and today peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

This was going to be the only sag stop and we were advised not to stop at a cafe in Palm Springs as the temperature just keeps climbing.

As I had stopped for a flat I had lost my group and carried on through palm springs and met up with the tandem who were sitting under a tree eating and drinking. I eat an energy bar and carried on. The temperature measured 135F in the sun and 110F in the shade. Uncomfortable. I had my camelback on, arm coolers (they really work well) and a head sweat. I was using a lot of water pouring it on my head and arms.

About 20 miles before the hotel the wind unkindly turned into a head wind and it was really tough going. I decided to pull into a fast food place for some water and chocolate milk. There were a few of the guys I was riding with in there. Harry had suffered from heat stroke so he was recovering.

We set of to do the last 10 miles at a real slow pace and bring Harry in shielding him from the wind.

On the way in Mike? Was by the road by himself also suffering so three of the guys looked after him.

About 1 mile from the hotel we stopped for a date milkshake. Indio apparently is the date capital of the USA. Very nice it was.





Then in to the hotel for electrolyte tablets, Gatorade, water.
Then a shower and do my washing. No problem getting it to dry in this heat.

I believe there have been a few having problems today, no doubt will find out tonight.

Today really was a warm up for the next two desert days of 100 and 115 miles in the heat.

The riding is fine it is just the heat. Water, salt, electrolyte tablets, food, arm coolers, head sweat, remind yourself that this is fun and we should be alright.




-
A stop for a call of nature.

The hotel are laying on a burger and a drink at 5pm for first dinner and then we are out later for second dinner. Estimated calorie burn today is 5500.



Let the fun continue


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Us Highway 111,Indio,United States

2 comments:

Jim said...

Stay hydrated! Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink. Drink from your hydration system and use the water in your bottles to pour on your head. Eat salty snacks at the SAG stops.

I'm happy to see people stopped at Shield's Date Garden. Did you have a date shake? Yummy.

RSRO
Jim

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Tony,
I have been checking your updates. Hope the men in your group have recovered from they're heat stroke.
Hope today is a better day without any problems.
Thinking of you
Love Gemma & Family :)